Monday, February 23, 2004

Forced ambidexterity and my poor neglected blog

Hmm . . . It's been a while since I posted in here, but it's not so much out of neglect as out of necessity.

About two weeks ago, we had a nice episode of black ice around here. Somehow I managed to navigate it just fine the entire night. But then, about fifty feet from my front door, I hit a patch of it, and start flailing like mad to prevent myself from doing a gainer into the puddles and ice on the ground. Somehow it works, but I end up wrenching my right arm in a direction it's not really meant to go. So, doing things with my right hand have been somewhat difficult as of late, although it's definitely improving. [Typing was a problem right afterwards; it's more or less not a problem now. Which is good, considering I have a thesis to finish up in the next few weeks.]

In other ways, it's been interesting the last few weeks, since it means I've needed to rely on my left hand for things like opening locks, opening bottles, making the bed, and all those other little daily things we do with our dominant hand (or with both hands). It makes me realize I've been taking many things for granted.

As for the blog, there's a lot that I want to say, but just haven't had the time to deal with yet. I'll post more on that in the coming week or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home