Wednesday, June 18, 2003

So what's a baritenor?


I guess I should explain the site name by explaining the notion of a "baritenor," which doesn't really exist, but is the only good way to describe my singing voice. Basically, my voice has the flexibility to reach both the bass and tenor ends of the vocal spectrum, although it lacks the ring of a true tenor at the top and the authority of a bass (or even bass-baritone) at the lower end. However, it makes an ideal "middle voice," and has a rather large "conversational range." In short, I'd describe my voice as a solo baritone, but choral tenor: anything above a G pretty much has to be in falsetto, or else I will tire out really quickly; anything below a low F will basically have me standing there, looking artistic but not making much sound.

A few samples are available, thanks to my recent concert and recital appearances, of my baritone range (obviously you won't be able to pick out one voice in a choral tenor section). Here's the first song of Ravel's Don Quichotte à Dulcinée, and "Bright is the ring of words" from Vaughan Williams's Songs of Travel. A more "bass-like" example is the bass solo from Brahms's Neue Liebesliederwalzen. [Warning: the Brahms is in OGG format.] More MP3's are available, if readers are interested---just ask. :-)

Happy listening.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home