Thursday, July 24, 2003

View from the clouds

Whoever said that being tall has its advantages was probably right, but there are definitely some major disadvantages, particularly when it comes to public accommodations. Planes invariably don't offer tall people enough room, and I've seen more than my fair share of hotel and dormitory showers designed for people who are five-foot-nine, not six-foot-four.

And then there are other places where it wouldn't immediately strike you as being a problem. For example, I've discovered that in the world of the performing arts, I might as well be seven feet tall. I'm a good three inches taller than the next person in the company that's doing Carmen next week, and he in turn is about two inches taller than everyone else. The net result is that "stock" costumes in my size are hard to procure without spending big bucks. And since no amateur company is going to spend lots of money on costumes for a minor character like me, it means I'm going to have to sing on stage in a mishmash of ill-fitting clothes provided by the group and my own wardrobe. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home