Wednesday, March 03, 2004

In-your-face evangelism

Seeking out converts is a goal of multiple religions, including both Christianity and Islam. So obviously I can't say that evangelism is, in itself, a bad thing.

However, there's no doubt in my mind that there's the right way to go about preaching the word of God. One bad way to do it is to go around a bus stop asking people: "Everybody who wants to go to heaven, raise your hand," and then quoting the usual Biblical passages. I'd say that the angry reactions of several of the other people waiting for the bus--some of which are quite unprintable--was entirely justified under the circumstances. I was quite sorely tempted to make a rather snide response to the woman, but decided that it wasn't worth engaging in a long conversation, considering I had just gotten back into town.

And the reason for that will be a story by itself, but one that will wait for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home