Thursday, July 31, 2003

Hilarity ensues?

So the picnic on Friday apparently is to get sillier. One of the featured attractions is a "professor dunk tank" for charity--people pay for the opportunity to try to soak the faculty. However, in an example of oneupsmanship, this year's organizers (the rising second-year graduate students) are trying to have a "professors' revenge"--a charity contest to find a graduate student for the dunkees to try to dunk.

I was approached by the organizers as a suitably "high-profile" graduate student to offer up for dunking. Thinking about this for about half a second I realized the potential danger I would be setting myself up for if I agreed to do this. I know the people in the department well enough to know that they're wonderful people, but a fair number of them wouldn't hesitate to chip in the cash needed to ensure I'd be the one to get soaked. [The class I TA'd and my own groupmates would quite likely be at the head of the list.]

Fortunately, the crisis was averted: never have I been quite so glad to have a musical performance the same day as a departmental event. . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home